Sunday, July 8, 2012

From Stockholm to Sjovik


I didn't get a chance to post the last few days, but here's one from Friday when we arrived at Sjovik.

July 6, 2012
Today was a lot of fun. After waiting at the airport for 3 hours, and getting McDonald's for lunch, we finally boarded the train to Avesta Krylbo. It was an hour and a half ride, which I slept for most of. Today, for me, was filled with sleep. The travel fatigue started to get to me.
A funny thing happened while we were at the airport. We were walking around, and happened to walk past this group of asians who were fairly young looking, and were sort of giving us looks. Charles told us he thought that they were the Houston missions team that was going to Sjovik as well. When we arrived at the platform for the train we saw the same group, and they saw us too. They shouted "Boston!?" from down the platform, to which we responded, "Houston!?"
We got to hang out with the Houston team a lot more when we arrived at the camp. Pastor Billy and Wenny picked us up from the train station and drove us up to the site, which was beautiful. They gave us a tour around to see the buildings. Apparently the mosquitos are vicious here, because upon stepping out of the car, I got bitten on the ankle. We spent the rest of the day wearing our mosquito gear, which everyone else thought was some crazy Bostonian fashion trend, (wearing bandanas).
The rest of the day was filled with meeting new people, and falling asleep. I fell asleep during Enoch's training drive by, and he told me I should just go sleep and that he's never seen me look that tired before. I fell asleep again while Enoch was chatting with Adrienne as we waited to go to dinner, and then again after dinner before evening devotions.
At evening devotions, we got to play some games, and get to know more of the people there. We played this one game called Sheriff, maybe I'll bring it home to Boston, but it was really fun, and I ended up winning one game! Then we went to evening snack time, around 8ish and played cards and just had fun. We had evening snack time because dinner is at 16:45, which is 4:45 regular time. It was a full day, and I can't wait for tomorrow, when I'll have more energy to stay awake during training and get to know people more!


My large McDonald's combo meal...
                                                                   The train platform
The boarding sign
Apparently "Hiss" means elevator? or Up? What do snakes say in the Nordic countries then...
The dining hall




No comments:

Post a Comment